600 Dulaney St Alexandria, VA
Largest GSA lease-construction project delivered three months ahead of schedule
LCOR, Incorporated designed and constructed the brand new 15-acre facility, which consolidated in five linked buildings PTO employees who had been working in 18 different buildings in another location. The 2.5-million square foot campus represents the largest lease ever signed by the U.S. General Services Administration for a federal government tenant as well as the biggest lease-construction project ever undertaken by the GSA.
The entire project was coordinated and permitted through the City of Alexandria, with Code Administration, Planning & Zoning and other staff on-site to accommodate an expedited construction schedule.
Construction of the project began in December 2001 and the first building was opened in December of 2003. At the time, then PTO Director and Under Secretary of Commerce Jim Rogan noted LCOR’s “unyielding commitment” to the PTO project, including the fact that LCOR delivered the first phase of the project “ahead of schedule” and on budget, in part due to the City’s handling of permitting and inspection processes on an expedited basis.
The complex was designed with heightened and integrated security. Security personnel monitor the entire campus, including the parking garages, and a security checkpoint in each lobby controls access. This is all accomplished while maintaining high quality architecture and site design in an urban and accessible setting.
- Up to 1,000 workers were on-site at the height of construction;
- Eight cranes operated simultaneously during this phase;
- 3,700 piles were driven over first nine months of construction;
- 225,000 cubic yards of concrete, 22,500 tons of rebar, and over one million cables were used;
- Two million bricks, 700,000 cinder blocks, and 3,000 units of exterior pre-cast concrete were laid;
- 3,400 punch windows and 16,000 square feet of mirrored glass; as well as
- Enough cooling for 2,000 homes, 27,000 circuit breakers, 14,000+ light fixtures, and 2,560 plumbing fixtures were installed.
For more information/reference:
William Hard, Executive Vice President