- King Street named 2011 Great Street by American Planning Association, through its flagship awards program.
- Alexandria named one of “Top 10 Downtowns” by Livability.com, March 2014.
- For the fifth consecutive year, the City of Alexandria was named one of the nation’s “100 Best Communities for Young People” by the America’s Promise Alliance, January 2012.
- Money magazine ranked Alexandria one of the Best Places to Live among small cities, August 2010.
- City of Alexandria received honorable mention in U.S. Conference of Mayors' City Livability Awards for its Partnership for a Healthier Alexandria Initiative, June 2011.
- Alexandria consistently ranks at the top among the Nation's Most Romantic Cities, by Amazon.com.
- Alexandria is a Top City for Online Giving, three years running; out of 273 cities, Alexandria continues to rank in the top two, according to Convio's "Most Generous Online U.S. Cities" report.
- The greater Washington area, including Alexandria and Arlington, ranked No. 1 in well-being among the country's 52 largest metropolitan areas, according to a 2013 Gallup-Healthways report.
Arts & Tourism
- Downtown Alexandria named one of America’s Top ArtPlaces 2013.
- Alexandria named 2011 Distinctive Destination by National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- City of Alexandria voted Third Best Arts Destination Among Mid-Size Cities by AmericanStyle magazine readers in May 2010, up from 11th place in 2009. Alexandria is consistently ranked among the Top 25 Arts Destinations in AmericanStyle’s annual poll.
- Alexandria is among National Geographic Society’s Top 50 Greenest Cities.
- City of Alexandria receives Green Innovation Award from Virginia Sustainable Building Network, July 2009.
- The City of Alexandria named a “Tree City USA” community in 2012 by the National Arbor Day Foundation, an honor that the city has received consecutively since 1982.
- Alexandria achieves platinum-level certification for the fifth-straight year by the Virginia Municipal League Green Government Challenge in 2012.
- Alexandria wins Safe and Sustainable Snowfighting Award from the Salt Institute for excellence in environmental consciousness and effective management in the storage of winter road salt, November 2012.
- City of Alexandria was honored by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability with a milestone award for completing a greenhouse gas emissions inventory and setting sustainability improvement goals, October 2010.
Transportation & Walkability
- City of Alexandria recognized at the Silver Level as a Walk Friendly Community, by the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center, September 2011.
- Alexandria named a Bicycle Friendly Community (Bronze Level) by the League of American Bicyclists, May 2009.
- Alexandria is 2nd Most Literate City in America, based on book, magazine, and newspaper sales.
- Bookseller Amazon.com named Alexandria the most well-read city in America, May 2012.
Economy, Technology and Innovation
- Alexandria is recognized in January 2012 by the Center for Digital Government’s Digital Cities Awards as the eigth -place “Top Digital City” of its size. The city was named first-place “Top Digital City” of its size in 2006; third-place in 2007 and 2011; fourth-place in 2005, 2008, and 2009; and sixth-place in 2010.
- New Geography.com names the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria (DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Division) one of the nation’s best cities for job growth (ranked #76), 2009.
- City of Alexandria and other members of a Northern Virginia partnership received a Special Achievement in GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Award from the Environmental Systems Research Institute, July 2011.
- Alexandria Wins Housing and Non Profit Developers 2010 Achievement Award for Innovation, June 2011.
For a full list of Alexandria awards in chronological order, visit the City’s Awards & Recognitions page.